Eastern Michigan University
Applications may be completed at: http://www.emich.edu/jobs Position No.: 01260
The Digital Public Relations and Outreach Specialist will work to enhance the academic and overall image of Eastern Michigan University by implementing traditional public relations strategies, new media techniques, SEO best practices and content marketing to maximize coverage of Eastern by news outlets, industry influencers, bloggers and on social media.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with planning, development and implementation of media outreach strategies and initiatives. Collaborate with the Marketing team on social media strategies.
- Serve as the primary public relations liaison between Human Resources and media outlets regarding collective bargaining news releases.
- Identify key media, bloggers and influencers through social media/ link analysis and by researching coverage of key industries and issues important to Eastern. Maintain detailed database of these key contacts.
- Build connections with key media, bloggers and influencers, form deep understanding of the topics they are interested in, their deadlines and technology preferences.
- Proactively seek out, research and develop strong story/content ideas about Eastern. Identify trending topics in the news and on social media, identify campus experts on the topics, and develop appealing story angles and timely, relevant pitches.
- Write news releases and articles for posting on Eastern’s website and sharing on social media. Produce well-written content quickly and accurately, with creative angles to attract both media and readers.
- Incorporate multimedia features into every story. Produce photos, short videos and infographics to accompany stories.
- Incorporate established SEO techniques to ensure expanded reach and rankings for all content.
- Secure significant coverage every week about Eastern from key media, bloggers and influencers.
- Monitor coverage and implement strategies to ensure that Eastern is regularly included and highlighted in news coverage.
- Promote media clips and other coverage on social media daily. Build natural buzz and generate significant shares and re-tweets of stories. Regularly review strategies and revise as needed to ensure significant reach and interactions.
- Monitor news coverage and reach by other Michigan universities and implement strategies to ensure that Eastern is well represented, regularly included and highlighted in coverage. Prepare monthly reports to show results of outreach initiatives.
- Work closely with the Integrated Content and Marketing teams in the Division of Communications to support the creation and delivery of media relations, marketing and social media campaigns to raise Eastern’s profile locally, statewide and national
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in public relations or communications, or a discipline requiring strong writing skills.
- Minimum three years of public relations or media relations experience. Solid understanding of public relations and social media marketing.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Strong copywriting and copy-editing skills. Ability to write and organize pieces quickly, accurately, strategically and under pressure. Ability to develop creative and original story ideas. Good organization and time management skills to handle multiple projects daily, with a high level of detail.
- Good understanding of today’s media landscape – local, statewide, nationally and globally. Proven experience building connections with key media, bloggers and influencers and generating positive stories with news media and on social media. Solid understanding of SEO and successful techniques to improve ranking.
- Knowledge and understanding of at least two of the following industries: technology, healthcare, research, higher education. Knowledge of influential leaders in the two fields, as well as a wealth of established contacts.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and PhotoShop or InDesign. Ability to produce photographs, short videos and basic infographics.
Posted Feb. 15, 2017